Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Burpie Madness

Burpies Tabata = 4 minute intense quad and glute burn!  Link to BURPIES.

I love quick intense workouts that give just a little DOMS the next day.  Not so much it hurts to go down the stairs but enough so you know that you did something.

I don't get much time to squeeze in workouts between patients so I'm always looking for ways to condense my workout and still get the results that I want.  I have been toying around with Mark Sisson's Primal Fitness workout for a few months and I have been getting great results.  2 days of weight training and 1 day a week of sprints.  The other 4 days are rest, play or most of the time just work; but it has taken the 'stress' out of making to the gym six days a week or hitting a 5 mile run 3 times a week.

I really like minimizing my time in the gym.  I used to spend 5 to 6 days either the weight room or on the track and I quickly get bored.  I appreciate the science behind Art Devany's workout and look forward to reading Tim Ferriss' '4 hour body' in addition to the continued information that Robb Wolf and Andy Deas put out.  I think that this will be the next 'craze' but will have much more science and better results. 

For my weight training I do a circuit of 5 exercises for 2 rounds.  I started with Mark's recommendations for exercises (pushup, pullup, squat, overhead press, planks) and even did his assessment to put myself in a good level in the progressions.  for instance if I could do 40 push-ups at the assessment I fall into level 4 and I don't progress to the next difficulty level until I can do 50 push-ups without stopping for the 2 rounds.

I quickly got bored (after 1 month) and started playing around with other compound exercises with kettlebells or with a suspension trainer like the TRX.  These are more fun and allow me to add weight to stimulate muscle growth faster.  I will start some Olympic lifting and begin a starting strength program 2 times a week to really lean out and put on 15 lbs of muscle.

No comments:

Post a Comment